Safely swapping a disk in a RAID456

Dear list,

I would like to swap out a drive in a RAID6 (4 drives), but ideally
without letting the RAID degrade. I was thinking that it should be
possible to declare the new disk a copy of the old one, let it sync,
then remove the old one and let the new one take over, but MD does
not seem to support that.

Next, I thought that I could add the new disk as a spare, grow the
array to 5 disks, and somehow shrink it back to 4 again, but of
course that does not work either, since 4→5 is a reshape, and there
seems to be no way to control which disk to remove from the RAID6 on
a shrink (making it a spare), without degrading the array in the
process.

Does anyone have any ideas? This should not be so hard…

"courage is not the absence of fear, but the decision
 that something else is more important than fear."
                                                  -- ambrose redmoon

spamtraps: madduck.bogus@xxxxxxxxxxx