Re: Recovery of failed RAID 6 and LVM

On 29/09/11 17:21, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
On 9/29/2011 4:03 AM, David Brown wrote:

One challenge for getting apprentices in this particular area is the
hardware costs. For someone to be able to really help you out in
development and serious testing of md, they are going to need access to
a machine with plenty of disks, preferably with hotplug bays and with a
mix of hdds and ssds. That's going to out of reach for many potential
assistants - it is hard enough finding someone with the required talent,
interest and time to spend on md/mdadm. Finding people with money -
especially people using md raid professionally - should be a lot easier.
So if there is anyone out there who is willing and able to contribute
seriously to md/mdadm, but is hindered by lack of hardware, then I for
one would be willing to contribute to a fund to help out.

Almost a dozen different people from Intel have contributed code
recently. I would think such folks wouldn't have any problem getting
access to all the hardware they could need given Intel's financial
resources. Seems like a good recruiting pool.

I am sure you are right that these people should have access to plenty of hardware - in particular, they should be in an ideal position to help with testing/tuning for SSD usage. But they may not have the time to help much, unless Intel is happy to pay them to do so. People who have lots of time - say, a new graduate or someone "between jobs" - often don't have the hardware. All I am saying is that /if/ there are such people around, and they are serious about working on md, then I think it should be possible to raise a little money to help them help us. (The same applies to existing md developers, of course.)