Re: Recovery of failed RAID 6 and LVM

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 11:12:08 -0500 Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 9/28/2011 2:10 AM, Marcin M. Jessa wrote:
> > On 9/28/11 4:50 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> >
> >> Reading the thread, and the many like it over the past months/years, may
> >> yield a clue as to why you wish to move on to something other than Linux
> >> RAID...
> >
> > :) I will give it another chance.
> > In case of failure FreeBSD and ZFS would be another option.
>
> I was responding to Neil's exhaustion with mdadm.  I was speculating
> that help threads such as yours may be a contributing factor,
> requesting/requiring Neil to become Superman many times per month to try
> to save some OP's bacon.

No, I don't really think they are a factor - though thanks for thinking
about it.

Obviously not all "help threads" end with a good result but quite a few do
and one has to take the rough with the smooth.
And each help thread is a potential learning experience.  If I see patterns
of failure recurring it will guide and motivate me to improve md or mdadm to
make that failure mode less likely.

I think it is simply that it isn't new any more.  I first started
contributing to md early in 2000, and 11 years is a long time.  Not as long
as Mr Torvalds has works on Linux of course, but Linux is a lot bigger than
md so there is more room to be interested.
There have been many highlights over that time, but the ones that stick in my
memory is when others have contributed in significant ways.  I really value
that, whether it is code, or review or documentation, or making a wiki or
answering mailing lists questions before I do, or even putting extra time in
to reproduce a bug so we can drill down to the cause.

I figure that appearing competent capable and in control isn't going to
attract new blood - new blood wants wide open frontiers with lots of
opportunity (I started in md when it was essentially unmaintained - I know
the attraction).  So I just want to say that there is certainly room and
opportunity over here.

I'm not about to drop md, but I would love an apprentice or two (or 3 or 4)
and would aim to provide the same mix of independence and oversight as Linus
does.

NeilBrown