Re: error injection

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 12:48:37 -0700 Jojy Varghese <jojy.varghese@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi
>  I am trying to dynamically add error injection to my virtual
> disk(LVM) for testing+ debugging purpose. I saw "faulty" personality
> module in the kernel and was wondering if there was any documentation
> on its usage. I am not looking to set up a RAID but a simple mapped
> device. So the basic use case is that I need to be able to dynamically
> add/remove error sectors and also be able to have granular error
> configuration like read error, read+write error etc.
>
> thanks in advance
> Jojy
> --

The 'faulty' md personality is described briefly in the 'md.4' man page which
is included in the mdadm distribution.
I've included the relevant part below.

Configuring the type of faults is described in mdadm.8 under the '-p
--layout=' section.  So can adjust the settings using mdadm --grow.
so:
  mdadm -B /dev/md0 -l faulty -n1 /dev/sda

will build a 'faulty' device which provides access to /dev/sda, but
introduces faults.  Initially no faults will be introduces.

  mdadm -G /dev/md0 --layout=rt400

will tell md0 to generate a read error every 400 requests, but not to
remember the error - rt == readtransient
   --layout=rp400
will create a persistent error every 400 reads subsequent reads of the same
block will produce the same error.  at most 50 persistent errors can be
recorded.
  mdadm -G /dev/md0 --layout=clear
will stop producing new errors
  mdadm -G /dev/md0 --layout=flush
will forget all persistent errors.

from md.4:

   FAULTY
       The FAULTY md module is provided for testing purposes.  A faulty  array
       has  exactly  one  component device and is normally assembled without a
       superblock, so the md array created provides direct access  to  all  of
       the data in the component device.

       The  FAULTY module may be requested to simulate faults to allow testing
       of other md levels or of filesystems.  Faults can be chosen to  trigger
       on  read requests or write requests, and can be transient (a subsequent
       read/write at the address will probably succeed) or persistent  (subse-
       quent  read/write of the same address will fail).  Further, read faults
       can be "fixable" meaning that they persist until a write request at the
       same address.

       Fault  types  can  be requested with a period.  In this case, the fault
       will recur repeatedly after the given number of requests of  the  rele-
       vant type.  For example if persistent read faults have a period of 100,
       then every 100th read request would generate a fault,  and  the  faulty
       sector  would be recorded so that subsequent reads on that sector would
       also fail.

       There is a limit to the number of faulty sectors that  are  remembered.
       Faults  generated  after  this  limit is exhausted are treated as tran-
       sient.

       The list of faulty sectors can be flushed, and the active list of fail-
       ure modes can be cleared.

from mdadm.8:

              When setting the failure mode for level faulty, the options are:
              write-transient, wt, read-transient, rt,  write-persistent,  wp,
              read-persistent,  rp, write-all, read-fixable, rf, clear, flush,
              none.

              Each failure mode can be followed by a number, which is used  as
              a  period between fault generation.  Without a number, the fault
              is generated once on the first relevant request.  With a number,
              the  fault  will be generated after that many requests, and will
              continue to be generated every time the period elapses.

              Multiple failure modes can be current  simultaneously  by  using
              the --grow option to set subsequent failure modes.

              "clear"  or  "none"  will remove any pending or periodic failure
              modes, and "flush" will clear any persistent faults.

NeilBrown