Re: potentially lost largeish raid5 array..

On September 23, 2011, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> >> Card:    SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8            Marvell 88SE6480
> >> Driver:  MVSAS
> >
> > *DING**DING**DING**DING**DING*
> >
> > We have a winner! It's a very nice card when it works.
>
> I have one of these, it's in the drawer. As late as 2.6.38 it worked
> marginally, before that it wouldn't even survive a raid resync. Sell it
> and buy something else. As far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with
> the hardware in this card, it just so happens the driver support is...
> err... lacking.

For the most part, it works. I've only had a couple scary moments with it. The
funny thing is, it seems as the driver gets closer to working properly, it
gets more dangerous. Before it'd just lock up the entire card, and thus, the
file system was mostly clean, just needed to replay the log. Now instead of
locking up the entire card, the ports return IO errors, which is kinda worse.

2.6.38-2.6.39 were pretty decent. Before that I was using a hacked up version
of a 1-2 year old set of patches from someone I assume works/worked at
Marvell. The only problem with that version of the driver was potential OOPSs
on hot swap, and very odd pauses in IO.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxx