Re: [TuxOnIce-users] Repeatable md OOPS on suspend, 2.6.39.4 and 3.0.3

Hi.

On 15/09/11 13:31, NeilBrown wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:32:10 +1000 Nigel Cunningham <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Please try/review the attached patch.
>>
>> The problem is that TuxOnIce adds a BUG_ON() to catch non-TuxOnIce I/O
>> during hibernation, as a method of seeking to stop on-disk data getting
>> corrupted by the writing of data that has potentially been overwritten
>> by the atomic copy.
>>
>> Stopping the md devices from being marked readonly is the right thing to
>> do - if we don't resume, we want recovery to be run. If we do resume,
>> they should still be in the pre-hibernate state.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Nigel
>
> This doesn't feel like the right approach to me.
>
> I think the 'md' device *should* be marked 'clean' when it is clean to
> avoid unnecessary resyncs.

I must be missing something. In raid terminology, what does 'clean'
mean? Googling gives me lots of references to flyspray :) I thought it
meant the filesystems contained therein were cleanly unmounted (which it
isn't in this case). Just 'cleanly shutdown'?

> It would almost certainly make sense to have a way to tell md 'hibernate
> wrote to your device so things might have changed - you should check'.
> Then md could look at the metadata and refresh any in-memory information
> such as device failures and event counts.
> After all if a device fails while writing out the hibernation image, we want
> the hibernation to succeed (I assume) and we want md to know that the device
> is failed when it wakes back up, and currently it won't.  So we really need
> that notification anyway.

Now that I understand and agree with.

Regards,

Nigel
--
Evolution (n): A hypothetical process whereby improbable
events occur with alarming frequency, order arises from chaos, and