Re: freshly grown array shrinks after first reboot - major data loss

On 09/01/2011 01:44 PM, Pim Zandbergen wrote:
On 09/01/2011 06:31 PM, Doug Ledford wrote:
Why is your raid metadata using this old version? mdadm-3.2.2-6.fc15
will not create this version of raid array by default. There is a
reason we have updated to a new superblock.

As you may have seen, the array was created in 2006, and has gone through
several similar grow procedures.

Even so, one of the original limitations of the 0.90 superblock was maximum usable device size. I'm not entirely sure that growing a 0.90 superblock past 2TB wasn't the source of your problem and that the bug that needs fixed is that mdadm should have refused to grow a 0.90 superblock based array beyond the 2TB limit. Neil would have to speak to that.

Does this problem still occur if you use a newer superblock format
(one of the version 1.x versions)?

I suppose not. But that would destroy the "evidence" of a possible bug.
For me, it's too late, but finding it could help others to prevent this
situation.
If there's anything I could do to help find it, now is the time.

If the people on this list know enough, I will proceed.

Thanks,
Pim