Re: Raid failing, which command to remove the bad drive?

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 13:13:01 -0700 "Timothy D. Lenz" <tlenz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have 4 drives set up as 2 pairs.  The first part has 3 partitions on
> it and it seems 1 of those drives is failing (going to have to figure
> out which drive it is too so I don't pull the wrong one out of the case)
>
> It's been awhile since I had to replace a drive in the array and my
> notes are a bit confusing. I'm not sure which I need to use to remove
> the drive:
>

> 	sudo mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --fail /dev/sdb
> 	sudo mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --remove /dev/sdb
> 	sudo mdadm --manage /dev/md1 --fail /dev/sdb
> 	sudo mdadm --manage /dev/md1 --remove /dev/sdb
> 	sudo mdadm --manage /dev/md2 --fail /dev/sdb
> 	sudo mdadm --manage /dev/md2 --remove /dev/sdb

sdb is not a member of any of these arrays so all of these commands will fail.

The partitions are members of the arrays.

> or
>
> sudo mdadm /dev/md0 --fail /dev/sdb1 --remove /dev/sdb1
> sudo mdadm /dev/md1 --fail /dev/sdb2 --remove /dev/sdb2

sd1 and sdb2 have already been marked as failed so there is little point in
marking them as failed again.  Removing them makes sense though.

> sudo mdadm /dev/md2 --fail /dev/sdb3 --remove /dev/sdb3

sdb3 hasn't been marked as failed yet - maybe it will soon if sdb is a bit
marginal.
So if you want to remove sdb from the machine this the correct thing to do.
Mark sdb3 as failed, then remove it from the array.

> I'm not sure if I fail the drive partition or whole drive for each.

You only fail things that aren't failed already, and you fail the thing that
mdstat or mdadm -D tells you is a member of the array.

NeilBrown