Re: IMSM Raid 5 always read only and gone after reboot

On 26/08/11 5:16 AM, Iwan Zarembo wrote:

It sounds like mdmon is not being started.
mdmon monitors the array and performs any metadata updates required.

The reason mktable is taking more than a second is that it tries to write to the array, the kernel marks the array as 'write-pending' and waits for mdmon to notice, update the metadata, and switch the array to 'active'. But mdmon
never does that.

mdmon should be started by mdadm but just to check you can start it by hand:

  /sbin/mdmon md126
or
  /sbin/mdmon --all

If this makes it work, you need to work out why mdmon isn't being started.

NeilBrown

Hello NeilBrown,
I finally found it. I was using mdadm 3.1.4, it is in the repository of ubuntu. This version does not really support IMSM that this is the real problem. I found it because I did not have mdmon. It does not exists in this old version. So I downloaded the latest official relesae 3.2.1 and installed it via make && sudo make install. Now everything works perfectly. The array is available after reboot and the synchronization process works over BIOS and not over mdadm itself. I would never found out that the version is making the trouble without your comment about mdmon. Thank you.

@Daniel,linbloke: Also a big thank you to you both. I learned a lot about raid with this problem.

my advice didn't make it to the list (reply-all duh), but it was short and for the record:

On debian-based systems to specify which arrays are required at boot time:

try:
dpkg-reconfigure mdadm

it should ask which arrays (if any) to start on boot

HTH

Cheers,

Iwan