Re: IMSM Raid 5 always read only and gone after reboot

On 08/16/11 13:19, Iwan Zarembo wrote:
> I also wanted to reuse my four old SAMSUNG HD103UJ 1 TB hard drives.
> In the past I used mdadm as fake raid level 5 and everything worked
> just fine. Now with the upgrade I wanted to use the Intel RAID
> Controller on my mainboard. The advantage is that I would be able to
> access the raid drive from my alternative windows system.

(snip)

> I learned that md126 is so long read only until it was used the first
> time. So I tried to create a partition with the documentation from the
> wiki, but not with ext3. I used ext4 for this.
>
>  #  mkfs.ext4 -v -m .1 -b 4096 -E stride=32,stripe-width=64 /dev/md/raid
> The result was:
> mke2fs 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
> fs_types für mke2fs.conf Lösung: 'ext4'
> /dev/md/raid: The operation is not allowed then creating Superblocks.
> Original message in German: Die Operation ist nicht erlaubt beim
> Erstellen des Superblocks

Are ext4 partitions even accessible in Windows? I remember trying that
myself and not finding a solution.

My comment in the previous message about creating the filesystem on the
raid directly is probably not a good idea in this case, Windows probably
won't like that. You'd have to create a partition.

Dan