Re: Triple-parity raid6

On 06/11/2011 10:53 AM, David Brown wrote:

Yes - we've already established that the implementation will be
possible, and that there are people willing and able to help with it.
And I believe that much of the optimisation can be handled by the
compiler - gcc has come a long way since raid6 was first implemented in
mdraid.

Hmmm ... don't be too overly reliant upon optimization from a compiler for your performance. It makes sense to have a well designed (and proven correct) algorithm first that is hand optimizable. There are many designs which are anathema to performance, and you have to be careful to avoid using them in your coding.

We are interested in working on this capability (and more generic capability) as well.

Is anyone in particular starting to design/code this?  Please let me know.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO