Re: wish for Linux MD mirrored raid types

On 06/05/2011 09:17, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
Hi List

based on the recent discussion, that showed lacking knowledge
on Linux MD RAID10 features, I have some thoughts:

It is really hard to disseminate information on "new" features
in MD RAID. RAID10 has been in the kernel since 2.6.9 - from 2004.
I have tried to give info on RAID10 at a number of web pages,
and still many people, even on our linux-raid list are not aware
of it.

Also many people are confused about Linux MD raid10 and RAID1+0.

So I think we shopuld rather name things in another way.

I would like linux MD raid10 functionality to be part of the Linux MD
RAID1 module, and be called raid1. This is in accordance with the
use of the RAID1 term as standadized by SNIA. In fact the RAID10-offset
layout is an implementation of a SNIA RAID specification. The RAID10-near
layout is an implementation of a simple RAID layout. And the RAID10-far
layout is just another layout far a mirrored RAID.  So all these types
could just be defined as different RAID1 layouts.

I would then also wish for RAID10-far to be the default RAID1
layout. There is general agreement on this list that RAID10-far
is the best mirrored layout for most purposes. In the interest of giving
the best performance to the Linux RAID users, we should make
the defaults the best practise - users tend to choose defaults,
especially often they do not have much knowledge.

We could still keep the RAID10 code for backwards compatibility,
or even let this new naming just be calls to the raid10 code
from the raid1 module.

I mostly agree with you, but for a few points:

You say the various raid10 layouts match SNIA RAID1 specifications and layouts - does that also apply if you have more than two disks? And what about weird things like raid10 over three disks?

There are times when it is important that a standard raid1 element is also accessible as a normal disk (with metadata 0.90). Examples include booting and sometimes data recovery or transferring the disk to another machine.

There are things you can do with raid1 that you cannot do with raid10 at the moment, such as re-shaping and re-sizing. It wouldn't make sense to classify raid10 as a type of raid1 until it also has this capability.

It is also not clear how adding an extra drive to a raid10,far layout should work. If you add an extra drive to a raid1 set, you get a three-way mirror. If you add an extra drive to a raid10,far drive, should it directly mirror one of the existing drives? Should it reshape to a raid10,far3 arrangement? Should it turn into a raid10,far2 and re-balance across the disks? Any of these might be valid choices.

I support your "campaign for raid10,far awareness", but I'm not sure that making it the default for raid1 is appropriate at the moment. Once raid10 re-shapes and re-sizes are fully supported, and once all main distros have moved to a new enough version of grub (which supports booting from raid10, and different metadata versions), then there will be few reasons for anyone to choose "standard" raid1 rather than raid10,far.

What would make a bigger difference is to get better raid support into the distro's installers. Most of these, when faced with two disks, will just ask you which drive you want to use - if the support raid at all during installation, it is accessed through "advanced" and "manual partition" screens. And getting grub onto both disks is very much a post-install manual operation, for those that know that it needs to be done. Getting distro installers to set up raid10,far by default would be a much bigger step.