Re: RAID6 data-check took almost 2 hours, clicking sounds, system unresponsive

> hours, clicking sounds, system unresponsive
[...]
> > > Obviously there is some sort of hardware issue -
> possible a
> > > drive, possibly a
> > > bus problem - I really don't know.
> > >
> > > Apart from that things look normal.
> > >
> > > What exactly did you want explained?
> > >
> > > NeilBrown
> >
> > I guess I was surprised that the RAID system appeared
> normal and that it did not register any errors.  I was
> hoping to get an idea as to which drive was problematic.
>
> sdc2 was reporting read error.  md/raid6 computed the
> data from the other
> devices and wrote it back to sdc2.  This appeared to
> work so md/raid6 assumed
> everything was fine again.  It reported this:
>
> Apr  7 08:42:08 saturn kernel: [210414.109880]
> md/raid:md1: read error corrected (8 sectors at 17195840 on
> sdc2)
>
> but didn't fail anything.
>

> > I get the feeling, from your reply, that this is not
> specifically a RAID problem, that it just happens to affect
> a RAID array.
>
> No, it was clearly a disk-drive problem.
> e.g.
> Apr  7 14:42:12 saturn kernel: [231957.756023]
> ata3.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
>
> a READ command sent to a n 'ata' device failed.  i.e.
> disk error.
>

> > I had thought that the RAID system should have been
> able to give me better diagnostics, but possibly I am being
> (inadvertently) unreasonable!
>
> Well.... it did tell you that it got a read error and
> corrected it.
>

> > Not sure what the significance of this mismatch is,
> and what I should do about it.
> > # cat /sys/block/md2/md/mismatch_cnt
> > 28904
> > #
>
> I'm not sure if read errors end up counting as
> mismatches..  They seem to for
> raid1.  The raid6 code is more complex and I don't
> feel like decoding it
> right now.
>
> In terms of "what to do about it" - the first thing must be
> to fix sdc.
> Maybe there is a loose cable or a broken cable.  Maybe
> the device needs to be
> replaced.
>
> Once you have resolved that and are fairly sure yours
> drives are all working,
>     echo check >
> /sys/block/md2/md/sync_action
>
> once that finishes mismatch_cnt should ideally be
> zero.  If it isn't, try
>     echo repair >
> /sys/block/md2/md/sync_action
>
> but only do that if you are confident that your devices are
> good.
> This will result in the same mismatch_cnt.  However a
> subsequent 'check'
> should then show zero.
>
> NeilBrown

Thanks,

I followed your suggestions and all 'appears' to be fine now.

Reality was a wee bit more dramatic than I would have liked!

Machine refused to boot this morning, complaining about disk errors.  Fortunately, I had arranged for a hardware capable friend to come around. He adjusted the cable on the offending drive and I ran fsck twice (lots of alarming messages first time). On rebooting, the system came up, but a video driver problem prevented the desktop from working.  Fortunately I was able to log in from another machine and apply your suggested remedy.  After the repair, I rebooted and was able to get into my desktop, subsequent checks revealed the mismatch counts to be all zero (I checked the failed RAID array and the other 2)