Re: high throughput storage server?

On 03/24/2011 04:05 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

At the end of the day, it will be *far* more economical to build a
distributed storage cluster with a parallel file system atop it, than
build a single large storage unit.

I must call BS on the "far more economical" comment.  At the end of the

I find it funny ... really, that the person whom hasn't designed and built the thing that we have, is calling BS on us.

This is the reason why email filters were developed.

In another email, Neil corrected some of Stan's other fundamental misconceptions on RAID writing. Christoph corrected others. Free advice here ... proceed with caution if you are considering using *any* of his advice, and get it sanity checked beforehand..

[...]

We've achieved well north of 10GB/s

It is important to note this.  We have.  He hasn't.

One thing we deal with on a fairly regular basis are people slapping components together that they think will work, and having expectations set really high on the performance side. Expectations get moderated by experience. Those who've done these things know what troubles await, those who don't look at spec's, say I need X of these, Y of those and my performance troubles will be gone. It doesn't work that way. Watching such processes unfold is akin to watching a slow motion train wreck on a movie ... you don't want it to occur, but it will, and it won't end well.

sustained reads and writes from thousands of simultaneous processes
across thousands of cores (yes, with MD backed RAIDs being part of
this), for hundreds of GB reads/writes (well into the TB range)

That's great.  Also, be honest with the fine folks on the list.  You use
mdraid0 or linear for stitching hardware RAID arrays together, similar
to what I mentioned.  You're not using mdraid across all 48 drives in

Again, since we didn't talk about how we use MD RAID, he doesn't know. Then constructs a strawman and proceeds to knock it down.

I won't fisk the rest of this, just make sure that, before you take his advice, you check with someone that's done it. He doesn't grok why one might need lots of ram in a read heavy scenario, or how RAID writes work, or ...

Yeah, you need to be pretty careful taking advice on building RAID or high performance scalable file server systems like this from people whom haven't, are guessing, and getting their answers corrected at a deep fundamental level by others.

[...]

Fortunately for the readers here, such unworthy designs you mention
aren't posted on this list.

... says the person whom hasn't designed/built/tested configurations that the other group they are criticizing has successfully deployed ...

As a reminder of thread history, he started with singing the praises of the Nexsan FC targets, indicated MD raid wasn't up to the task, that it wasn't "a professionally used solution" or similar statement. Then he attacked anyone who disagreed, and pointed out flaws in his statement/argument. When people like me (and others) suggested cluster file systems, he went on his single system design way, and again, using FC/SAS, decided that a linear stripe was the right approach.

Heh!

Nothing to see here folks, adjust your filters accordingly.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO