Re: Periodic RebuildStarted event

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 6:41 AM, NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 06:16:22 +0300 CoolCold <coolthecold@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 3:25 AM, NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> [snip]
>> > Then start either the
>> > 'next' array at the beginning, or the 'current' array at the current point
>> > (write to sync_min).
>> I couldn't find documentation for sync_min/sync_max sysfs params at
>> least for repo cloned from
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.37.y.git
>> coolcold@coolcold:~/gits/linux-2.6.37.y$ grep -qi sync_min
>> Documentation/md.txt || echo failed find docs
>> failed find docs
>
> Yes, sorry about that.
May be I can help and create patch for md.txt after this thread? If
yes, it would be nice to get some link for proper patch providing
instructions, never did patches for kernel ;)

>> As I could understand from sources - resync_min & resync_max are
>> expressed in sectors (512bytes?)  and are set to 0 & total sectors on
>> device accordingly. resync_max value should be divisible by array
>> chunk size (in sectors) . After setting this values, one can trugger
>> "check" / "repair" into sync_action.
>
> Yes - sectors (multiples of 512 bytes)
> Yes - 0 and a big number.  sync_max is actually set to MAX_LONG rather than
>      the actual total number of sectors.
>
> Yes - one can trigger 'check' or 'repair' and it will obey these limits.
> When it reaches 'sync_max' it will pause rather than complete.  You can
> use 'select' or 'poll' on "sync_completed" to wait for that number to
> reach sync_max.  Then you can either increase sync_max, or can write
> "idle" to "sync_action".
>

>> My basic idea is to use this method to clear pending sectors from
>> SMART checks and looks like this gonna work, am i right?
>>

> I don't know exactly what "pending sectors" are, but if they are sectors
> which return an error to READ and can be fixed by writing data to them, then
> you are right, this should 'clear' any pending sectors.
Yes, i meant that kind.

> Of course you will need to be careful about mapping the sector number
> from smart to the second number given to 'sync_min'.
I guess you meant "sector" not "second" here?

> Not only must you
> adjust for any partition table, but also the 'data offset' of the
> md array must be allowed for.
So, for 0.9 metadata format offset is always gonna be 0, right?
And if the bad thing happens - bad block with read error is found on
metadata section, will mdadm with --update <something> will be enought
to do force write?

--
Best regards,
[COOLCOLD-RIPN]