RE: Impact of missing parameter during mdadm create

> On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 16:37:35 +1000 <linuxraid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 23:22 -0500, Mike Viau wrote:
> >
> > Attached HOST_SYSLOG.txt is the _complete_ syslog after a system reboot showing only 2 drives are assembled automatically on boot, and the array is degraded.
> >

> OK, I guess I should have thought of this before, your syslog shows that
> sdd is attached as a USB device and is not discovered until after md0
> has been assembled (using all the devices available at the time).  I'm
> not sure how you would make md auto assembly wait until after your USB
> device has been discovered.  Hopefully someone else here can provide
> some advice, although it's not strictly a linux-raid issue there are
> quite a few helpful people here.
>
> I'm pretty sure if you replaced the USB device with another SATA device
> things would work as you expected. Another alternative may be to not
> have that array auto assembled but wait and assemble after the boot is
> finished, this could probably be scripted.
>
> Ken.

Well that about explains it, thanks for your help and time :)
I am going to mark this thread as [solved] for now, the issue was not with the missing parameter, but with the drive missing being connected to the usb bus. When I get a moment later today I'll search around to see what others in this situations have done. If all else fails and I don't find anything or I just find the quick and dirty script fixes, then I will post a new thread looking for suggestions.
I guess I could open up my hard drive enclosure too, but in doing so I'd be voiding the warranty I have left on it.
Regardless thanks again Ken!