Re: failing a drive while RAID5 is initializing

Thanks for the clear answer. I am glad I didn't uncover a bug with something so basic.

Some of the features on Neil's current roadmap should allow for "lazy
initialisation" where the recovery data is added only as the drive is
written to, which should mean the array is available immediately but
still retains full recoverability.

I was thinking that this is how things work now, but now that you mentioned it, the man-page does say that the array is degraded to begin with and is rebuilding onto the last device during initialization.

To make this lazy initialization possible, one would have to have a bitmap of "dirtied" chunks, though, right?

Cheers,
Iordan