Re: SSD - TRIM command

thanks neil, i will try to read and make some patch, my focus is ssd
optimization, at hardware level (hw raid) i didn't see any good
improvement
good = a good read balance (based on queue and disk read rate), trim support

----
good read balance = round robin or another time based algorithm (can
be cpu intensive), i didn't found yet how to get queue of linux bio
(mirrors)
trim support - nothing to report, it's a 'feature request' for long
term (after badblock and others features)

-----

ps...
neil what are you thinking about badblock and layout?
for example... reading from a bad block will be internaly (md source
code) remapped to a good block? or just try read/write to another
device?

in other words we will have 'dynamic' layout?

2011/2/22 NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 23:27:26 -0300 Roberto Spadim <roberto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> tape drive = harddisk with only one head, the head can't move, only
>> the tape (disk/plate or any other name you want)
>>
>> could we get back and answer the main question?
>> --------------------------
>> getting back to the first question, can MD support trim? yes/no/not
>> now/some levels and layouts only?
>>

> MD currently doesn't accept 'discard' requests.
>
> RAID0 and LINEAR could be made to accept 'discard' if any
> member device accepted 'discard'.  Patches welcome.
>
> Other levels need md to know not to try to resync/recover regions that
> have been discarded.  See "non-sync bitmap" section of the recent
> md roadmap.
>
> NeilBrown
> --

Roberto Spadim