Re: SSD - TRIM command

off topic again...

continue with the idea of optimizations, the last otimization we could
have is implement a filesystem at harddisk
it could implement all filesystem functions, no device function, it
could have many more information about data, not only block 'in
use'/'not in use'. it could understand: file starting at block x
ending at block y, with information w, accestime z, etc etc. it could
be more intelligent than a raw device. in others words, it's a
fileserver...

why implement algorithms at device level? today harddisk processors
(fpga, arm processors, others) have a lot of cpu power not in use, why
not use it? that's why we send trim to device, if it's a harddisk or
ssd or anyother pseudo/real device no problem, we sent the trim
command to otimize it

----------------
getting out of off topic,

please stop sending 'i think it's not a performace feature, it don't
need be implemented in device level', let's implement all functions
that device level could allow (ATA/SCSI specifications or any other)
and optimize when possible
checking neil md roadmap, badblock work will be very good for md
devices, it's a good optimization for raid1 since mirror will only
fail when many blocks fail

can we implement TRIM at MD level? it's a good feature to implement?
we will have a lot of work to implement it?
my opnion
we can, on some raid levels
it's a good feature
we will have a lot of work to implement and test

any answer from raid developers?

--
Roberto Spadim
Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial