Re: md road-map: 2011

yeah, disk with badblock = disk with dynamic layout
i think with badblock we could port layout to all raid systems
(including raid1 hehe, i like raid1)

the area for badblock, we could clena then at startup with: write
000000, send TRIM command to sectors used by badblock area, this will
help disks with internal realloc functions (faster than md software)

2011/2/18 Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 05:00:27PM -0200, Roberto Spadim wrote:
>> again... for realloc we need TRIM command or reserved sectors just for
>> bad block realloc, TRIM command tell MD what sector isn?t in use, at
>> WRITE command MD set the sector as inuse, at array creation md set
>> sector as inuse too. this will only work with ext4 and swap, others
>> filesystem don?t have TRIM. the solution of others filesystem are
>> based on not used block, but it?s a internal logic of each filesystem.
>> i don?t know what is best, TRIM command is nice (we can send TRIM to
>> disks, this help to make their life bigger) a bad block is a disk
>> getting smaller and smaller, the disk can realloc badblock. if it
>> cant, filesystem should realloc it (it have more information about
>> logic device, it shouldn?t, TRIM command is the information that disk
>> should have to discart blocks, not a filesystem logic, but... it?s a
>> option, filesystem can realloc)
>
> I think I prefer a realloc area in the raid metadata area. And the
> metadata area could be contaning a not-too-small realloc area, with an
> option of enlarging the realloc area at a later time. This could be done
> by shrinking the related file system, and then adding the freed space to
> the realloc area in the raid metadata.
>
> Some MBs set aside for this would not be noticeable in todays TB disks
> regime. I think current disk hardware allows relocation of under 1000
> blocks a 512 byte = under 512 kB. So no problem sizewise.
> Performance may be a bigger problem.  Maybe some binary searcheable list
> built at MD RAID assembly time.
>
> best regards
> keld
> --