Re: Linux software RAID assistance

I just went to bed and one last question popped in to my mind. Since
there is a fair timezone gap I thought I'd be presumptuous and ask it
in the hope I can turn it around a bit quicker in the morning.

My suspicion is that once I have 5 formatted 2tb drives I may be lucky
to get 10x 1tb dd images on to it. Can I feed the dd process in to
tar, bzip2, zip or something else which will give me enough space to
fit the images on ?

Will I get more usable space from 5x2tb partitions or from 1xspanned
volume ? (the thecus pretty much only allows you to create raid
volumes so a jbod needs to be 5x1tb arrays or 1 spanned volume or
stripe).

TIA
Simon