Re: What's the typical RAID10 setup?

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 6:43 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Keld Jørn Simonsen put forth on 2/3/2011 5:04 AM:
>>> Unfortunately there is no organization, no standards body, that defines RAID
>>> levels.
>
> Something smells bad here.  Does one of the RAID companies own a patent or
> trademark on "RAID 10"?  I'll look into this.  It just doesn't make any sense
> for RAID 10 to be omitted from the SNIA DDF but to be referenced in the manner
> it is.

For the sake of practical clarity, would it be possible for the list
to simply agree to use

RAID1+0  = the "outside-the-mdadm-world" meaning of RAID10

and something like

"md RAID10" for "our" RAID10

and to just not use plain "RAID10" at all, to avoid confusion

and move on?

Others more senior can of course propose other syntax; my goal is to
simply avoid the confusion caused by ambiguous terminology, and the
unnecessary friction that seems to come up every time these terms are
discussed.