Re: What's the typical RAID10 setup?

it´s not just a probability problem, it´s a probability based on variable type
if you want probability based on mirror you have a result, if you want
probability based on disk you have another result
raid0 allow disks (but we don´t have a 0,5 raid0 system, we just allow
integers numbers, we can´t allow decimal numbers on this probability!)

the problem here is: raid0 isn´t divisible, we can´t run a 0,5 raid0
system. we need a full working raid0 to have a working mirror, a half
disk don´t help us to WORK, just to test and play with data, not to
real production work! why we don´t buy disks with bad blocks? got the
problem? for tests ok, for production NEVER

i had a raid1 system broken last month, i have luck, two disks of 4
disks are broken, the first raid0 and the last raid0 but they are on
separated mirrors (the server hit the floor, sorry boss =( ).

i lost information? no! the last raid0 brolen disk was never used =],
i used concatenate raid0 (LINEAR), if i was using raid0 with stripe i
was f****
result: 4 new disks, 2 working 2 broken (i opened it! and 2 was good,
after open it they are broken hehehe)

that´s the problem, we can´t allow luck on production servers,
consider using probability based on mirrors(only integer numbers) not
on disks(decimal number of mirror)

i could lost all my informations since i broken two mirrors on two
mirror based server...
make probability using integers not decimal numbers... since raid1 is
mirrors based

another example...
i want raid10 (2mirrors) if i make partition on 4 disks (8 partitions,
2 per disk) and make raid1 on each partition on same disk (4 disk self
mirrored) what the probability?

i tell you is it mirror based or disk based?
since software raid (mdadm) is mirror based you have 2 mirrors, you
can lost 1 mirror! that´s the key. for mdadm you can´t go inside
mirror device (just for raid0) but you can´t tell that´s a good
probability

look OCZ Revo-drive
it´s a ssd pci board with two SATA SSD storage (120gb revodrive = 2x
55gb ssd) if i make self mirror i have a fault tolerant system? yes!
understand now? for mdadm we have 2 mirrors, don´t make probability
based on disks! make probability based on mirrors!

2011/1/31 Denis <denismpa@xxxxxxxxx>:
> 2011/1/31 Phillip Susi <psusi@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> On 1/31/2011 2:53 PM, Roberto Spadim wrote:
>>> if you have a bigger and bigger and bigger disk configuration and only
>>> two mirrors you still with  50%
> might help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability
>

> --
> Denis Anjos,