Re: documentation

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:39:03 -0200 Roberto Spadim <roberto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> hi guys, where´s the official documentation page (wiki)? is it at
> linux kernel source code? or at a wikipedia or another wiki page?
> i found this:
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/linux-raid
> at wikipedia
> and some documentation inside kernel source code
> what´s the most updated (official)?

"official" has always struck me as a rather strange term in this sort of
context.  It implies that there is an 'office' which the 'official' holds.
I wonder what this 'office' is....

However to be useful instead of philosophical:

 - the source code is the definitive documentation.  However few people can
   read it very well.
 - the man pages in the mdadm package are the formal documentation that I am
   most likely to update in anything close to a timely manner.  In particular
     man 4 md
   is worth a read.
 - An archive of this mailing line (linux-raid) is likely to be the best
   informal source of documentation.  It contains lots of valuable
   information, but of course is not structured very well.
 - https://linux-raid.wiki.kernel.org/ is a community-maintained wiki which
   should be reasonably reliable. (that is the same location as the link that
   you found above).
 - the doco in the kernel (Documentation/md.txt) is hardly ever updated and so
   is probably badly out of date.  Sorry.
 - As has been mentioned, http://neil.brown.name/blog/mdadm and
   http://neil.brown.name/blog/SoftRaid sometimes contain useful information
   but I don't write as often as I would like to.
 - This is a Book: Managing RAID on Linux
     http://oreilly.com/catalog/9781565927308/index.html?CMP=IL7015
   however it is now about 8 years old, so it will be missing a lot of new
   stuff.

Hope that helps,
NeilBrown