Re: RAID HDDs spin up sequence

you psu must be dimensioned to work with everythink at full work load
(it´s a real production NAS right?! not a test)
your SAS/IDE/SATA controller and HDD manual should be checked
how hdd wake up? one command (read/write) over sata/sas/ide channel wake it up?
on linux raid we have a read algorithm and a write algorithm
if a raid1 write occur all disks will wake up
if a raid1 (raid0 or another) read occur only the disk will wake up

but check you SATA/IDE/SATA controller, how it wake up your disk, and
how you hdd wake up

2011/1/31 Piergiorgio Sartor <piergiorgio.sartor@xxxxxxxx>:
> Hi all,
>
> assuming there is a NAS, with, for example, 10 HDDs
> in RAID-6. Assuming the HDDs are put in standby, in
> order to save energy, when the NAS is not used.
> How is the spin up sequence when the corresponding
> /dev/mdX device is accessed?
> Will the system spin up one HDD at time or all together?
>
> Obviously, one at time will limit the peak current,
> thus allowing a better dimensioned PSU, working almost
> always around the optimal efficiency point.
>
> Thanks a lot for any information on the topic,
>
> bye,
>
> --
>
> piergiorgio
> --