Re: Performance question, RAID5

On 30 January 2011 19:44, Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mathias BurÃn put forth on 1/30/2011 6:12 AM:
>
>> Thanks to mdadm, and /dev/disks/by-label/ I should be fine with just
>> swapping the SATA cables around actually, without having to change any
>> configs. I'll try that later on and let you know if it affects
>> performance anything. Good catch!
>
> Be sure to change the mobo and PCIe card BIOS boot order after moving the SSD
> cable to the PCIe card or the machine won't boot. ÂAlso, before swapping cables,
> make sure you have the PCIe card chipset driver built into your kernel or
> properly built into your initrd image. ÂIf not you still won't boot.
>
> --
> Stan

I forgot to mention it, but I already swapped the cables. I had to
change a few things (reinstall GRUB, change menu.lst) but otherwise I
was OK. Strange thing is that my mainboard doesn't seem to want to
boot off a drive that's connected to the Highpoint controller. Just
sits there. However, using GRUB from a USB stick enables me to just do
root (hd2,0), then chainload + and load the GRUB of the SSD. Not
elegant, but it works (for now). Will investigate more later...

// Mathias