Re: Optimize RAID0 for max IOPS?

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 07:41:15PM +0100, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> > I don't think you even want a RAID0 in that case.  For small IOPs
> > you're much better off with a simple concatenation of devices.
>
> What exactly do you mean by "conatenation"? LVM striping?
> At least the discussion here does not show any significant advantages
> for this concept:
> http://groups.google.com/group/ubuntu-user-community/web/pick-your-pleasure-raid-0-mdadm-striping-or-lvm-striping

No, concatenation means not using any striping, but just concatenating
the disk linearly, e.g.

 +-----------------------------------+
 |            Filesystem             |
 +--------+--------+--------+--------+
 | Disk 1 | Disk 2 | Disk 3 | Disk 4 |

This can be done using the using the MD linear target, or simply
by having multiple PVs in a VG with LVM.

> > Make sure to disable the disk write caches and if not using the newest
> > kernel also mount the filesystem with -o nobarrier.  With lots of small
> > I/Os and metadata intensive workloads that's usually a lot faster.
>
> Tests if done recently indicate that on the other hand nobarrier causes
> a serious degradation of read and write performance (down to some 40%
> of the values before).

Do you have a pointer to your results?