RE: Low cost PCI-E unRAID - Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 Driver/LBA questions for HW owners/users

<snip>

> Inexpensive:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219039
> http://www.norcotek.com/RPC-4116.php
>
> Better quality, includes redundant PSU, twice the price:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811123135
> http://usa.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_detail.php?sku=144
>
> I've built quite a few servers over the years with Chenbro cases.  They
> are
> excellent quality.  One of my personal servers resides in an old double
> wide
> Chenbro pedestal chassis with 12x3.5" hot swap SCSI bays.  Been using it
> since
> 1999, not a bit of trouble with it, and it has survived 5 moves.  I've
> never
> used the Norco products.

	I have.  I cannot recommend Norcotek.  I had a horrendously bad
experience with one of their 12 bay SAS RAID chassis.  Their tech support
was pathetic, and despite numerous RMAs, replacing essentially every
component of the chassis, the chassis could not be made stable.  The drives
experienced all sorts of massive errors when installed in the chassis, and
it was never possible to get more than 8 drives visible.  Plugging a drive
into one slot would cause 1 or 2 drives in other slots to disappear.  I lost
the entire array several times, and suffered massive amounts of data
corruption.  I finally gave up and purchased another chassis, and all the
problems went away completely.