Re: Optimize RAID0 for max IOPS?

maybe removing hwraid and using swraid may reduce speed (depend how
much cpu you use with hw and with sw)
what we can optimize? less I/O per seconds making as much useful
read/write data on array, how? good read/write algorithms for raid.
(for each device type, ssd, hd) but... like stefan, disks are your
bottleneck

2011/1/18 Stefan /*St0fF*/ Hübner <stefan.huebner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi,
>
> [in German:] Schätzelein, Dein Problem sind die Platten, nicht der
> Controller.
>
> [in English:] Dude, the disks are your bottleneck.
>
> On a 4-disk RAID0 software RAID can only outspeed this 3ware Controller
> with a really really fast processor.  The limiting factor is the disk's
> access time.  If SSDs are too expensive, then your actual performance is
> the max you'll get (maybe to replace the HWRAID controller might give a
> little speed-up, but not very much).
>
> All the best,
> Stefan
>
> Am 18.01.2011 22:01, schrieb Wolfgang Denk:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm going to replace a h/w based RAID system (3ware 9650SE) by a plain
>> s/w RAID0, because the existing system appears to be seriously limited
>> in terms of numbers of I/O operations per second.
>>
>> Our workload is mixed read / write (something between 80% read / 20%
>> write and 50% / 50%), consisting of a very large number of usually
>> very small files.
>>
>> There may be 20...50 millions of files, or more. 65% of the files are
>> smaller than 4 kB; 80% are smaller than 8 kB; 90% are smaller than 16
>> kB; 98.4% are smaller than 64 kB.
>>
>> I will have 4 x 1 TB disks for this setup.
>>
>> The plan is to build a RAID0 from the 4 devices, create a physical
>> volume and a volume group on the resulting /dev/md?, then create 2 or
>> 3 logical volumes that will be used as XFS file systems.
>>
>> My goal is to optimize for maximum number of I/O operations per
>> second. [I am aware that using SSDs would be a nice thing, but that
>> would be too expensive.]
>>
>> Is this a reasonable approach for such a task?
>>
>> Should I do anything different to acchive maximum performance?
>>
>> What are the tunables in this setup?  [It seems the usual recipies are
>> more oriented in maximizing the data troughput for large, mostly
>> sequential accesses - I figure that things like increasing read-ahead
>> etc. will not help me much here?]
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Wolfgang Denk