Re: An extensible superblock

On 01/11/2011 11:52 AM, Jonathan Brassow wrote:
Would it make sense for me to bring up my idea of having the metadata
and data kept separately here? (Perhaps not, as this is related to the
device-mapper/MD integration work; but I'll post it for what it is worth.)

I firmly believe that such schemes - and the idea of metadata in userspace in general - may be profoundly useful and ought to be supported to the extent that they are useful, but they shouldn't get in the way of having something simple and consistent. Emphasis on simple.

Hell, external metadata is basically what bcache does today. But if your metadata isn't stored with the data it's describing, then... well, it's not really correct but the way I think of it is whether the data is self describing or not.

If you've got a filesystem with a cache on another device, then it's not just a filesystem, it's a filesystem with a cache on another device; using it as such is critical for consistency, and if you leave that superblock out then there's no way you can tell them (a plain filesystem vs. a filesystem with a cache) if you haven't already seen the metadata.

N.B.:

Just because you have a md superblock doesn't mean you can't put all the important things somewhere else, it's just absolutely critical that you have some way of noting that in your superblock. Else you can never know if you have a correct/consistent view of your data.

http://marc.info/?l=linux-raid&m=129434759113635&w=2

brassow