Re: mdadm raid5 with lvm: advantages?

On 12/01/2011 1:06 AM, Richard Grundy wrote:
I'm building a new RAID5 array (of 5 1.5 TB drives) with mdadm and
would like to know the benefits of creating an LVM on top of this are
instead of just creating the filesystem on the md directly. I've never
had a problem growing the array and then resizing the filesystem
before and wondered if in this situation the only gain would be lvm
snapshot stuff? I'm planning to use ext4 for this array, if that makes
any difference.

I used lvm over RAID5 on my latest server. It runs the Xen Hypervisor to do virtualisation. It was the first project that I have *ever* used lvm on. I have to say, I'm quite impressed. I have a volume group that takes up the entire RAID5, then split that into logical volumes for each VM.

I guess the bottom line here is what you are using it for. If its one massive file dumping ground, then lvm probably won't get you any extra features. If you plan to have more things later on than a single filesystem, then it might be an advantage to put lvm on there now.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz@xxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.crc.id.au