Re: Considering a complete rework of RAID on my home compute server

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Leslie Rhorer <lrhorer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>

> Â Â Â ÂWhat I meant was, you currently have a 2 disk RAID0. ÂWhy not buy a
> larger disk and move the 2 drives currently tied up in the RAID0 to a 5 disk
> RAID6 array with no partitions? ÂThe function currently provided by the 2nd
> RAID1 can be taken over by the single drive, and the function of the RAID0
> can be taken over by a directory on the main array. ÂThis makes better
> functional use of the space and may provide performance benefits, not to
> mention being much simpler. ÂI'm a fan of having a separate, small disk for
> booting. ÂMy servers both have a pair of small drives each partitioned into
> three sections. ÂEach of the partition pairs are in turn assembled into a
> RAID array for a total of 3 mounts:
>
> md1 - a tiny /boot
> md2 - a small /
> md3 - swap.

I believe that is essentially what I'm doing:

- 2 drive RAID0 using 500GB drives is 1TB
- 3 drive RAID1 using 500GB drives is 500GB

- 5 drive RAID6 using 500GB drives is 1.5TB

The RAID0 is moving to the RAID6
The RAID1 is moving to the RAID6

I'll purchase 1 additional 500GB drive to sit cold in my office in
case I drop a drive in the RAID6.

Sounds like it should work out well.

I'll investigate using a different drive for booting.

Thanks,
Mark