Re: Considering a complete rework of RAID on my home compute server

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 18:03:47 -0600
"Leslie Rhorer" <lrhorer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 	RAID1 certainly offers the most robust solution, especially
> with more than 1 mirror.

> 	RAID1 is as safe as it gets

Are you sure about that? Considering that mdadm's handling of corrupt data on
RAID1 devices is pretty simplistic (obviously it does not have per-block
checksums anywhere, it does not do 'voting' on RAID1 with more than 2
devices), it basically has no way of knowing if a block of data is returned
differently by some of the component devices, which one has the 'correct'
data. From what I understand, RAID5 and especially RAID6 give a much better
protection in this situation.

--
With respect,
Roman