Re: [Slightly OT] Cheap 4-port PCI-E SATA card?

http://skinflint.co.uk/eu/a367722.html

I got one of those, still a little too expensive imho, but it does it's
job as expected.

In-kernel drivers seem to work well till now (used several 2.6.33.x and
following kernel versions without any problems so far).

Does have PCI-e x4 thus providing more bandwidth that the 4 connected
drives can achieve and should support FIS PMPs aswell.

lspci agrees on this: LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x4, TrErr- Train-
SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-.

/dev/md127:
 Timing O_DIRECT cached reads:   888 MB in  2.00 seconds = 443.38 MB/sec
 Timing O_DIRECT disk reads: 602 MB in  3.00 seconds = 200.40 MB/sec

Since I use a raid 6 setup on the four drives and reading from each member
drive's cache yiels roughly 220MB/sec the value of 440 MB/sec seems
reasonable. I don't have the chance right now to set up a stripeset of 4
drives to check if I could get around 800MB from their caches, but I did
achieve roughly 450 MB/sec from a SSD stripe I had connected. So I cannot
tell you what the upper limit of the card/chipset is there, but I found
the rates fair enough for my needs.

I couldn't find any UK Reseller for an equivalent board at a similiar low
price (unfortunately) - misco UK does have the following:

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=399329&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

Which is definately too expensive ... maybe you got better luck digging
for a card+reseller with that chipset.

Regards

-Sven