Re: [Slightly OT] Cheap 4-port PCI-E SATA card?

On 03/01/2011 06:41, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
[...]
Go with one or two of these SATA II port multipliers with 1 host
interface and 5 drive interfaces--perfect for a 10 drive setup with two
5 drive cages.

http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/ad5sapm.asp

http://www.buy.com/prod/addonics-ad5sapm-serial-ata-controller-5-x-7-pin-serial-ata-300-serial/q/loc/101/213272437.html

http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?pid=32

If your mobo SATA ports support FIS based switching, this PMP will give
you 5 SATA II drive ports.  It doesn't use a PCI slot of any kind.  No
additional software required.  No kernel driver issues.  300MB/s is
sufficient for 5 drives in an mdraid setup isn't it?

For a backup array, yes, but I'm not sure it is for online storage. 300MB/s is an absolute max and there's protocol overhead etc, but even if it's minimal we're still looking at no better than 50MB/s per drive, while the drives can manage 125MB/s these days.

I doubt my motherboard supports FIS PMPs. It's an Asus P5Q Pro, Intel P45+ICH10R, and I'm pretty sure the ICH10R doesn't support PMPs even if the original spec said it would.

There is a Marvell 88SE6121 SATA+IDE chip on there but it's currently in IDE-only mode for the DVD drive and even if I switched over to SATA mode and a SATA DVD drive that'd only give me one more SATA port. But it might work with a FIS PMP, I suppose.

When I use these I remove the slot bracket and mount the PCB directly to
my server chassis side wall using mobo type standoffs.  You may need to
drill a couple of holes in the chassis depending on where you decide to
mount it.  If you're not a mechanically inclined DIY type person, just
use the supplied mounting bracket.  This may deny access to an
underlying PCI slot though.  I prefer the more solid mount and having
all slots available.

I'd do that too - no problems doing case mods here. I suppose it's possible the mounting holes might be able to be made to line up with some of the mounting holes on the side of the hot-swap chassis. On the other hand I might cheat and use the little plastic mounts with double-sided tape on their feet.

[...]
  The driver for the Marvell chip is present in kernel
2.6.19 and later.  Considering that 2.6.19 is like 6 years old, I'd hope
your kernel is newer.

It's kernel-2.6.18-194.26.1.el5 so it's stuffed full of backports and security updates, it's less than two months old. Yes, I have sata_mv, but several people have reported data corruption issues with some Marvell controllers - a bad interaction with SMART I think.

It may be a little more money than you were planning on spending, but
for little more than the cost of one hard drive

In this case I'm using consumer-level drives so they're about Â40 ($60), so $165 is a bit rich for me, especially since it's potentially limited for throughput.

Nevertheless, thank you very much for taking the time for such a considered reply.

Cheers,

John.