Absymal performance of O_DIRECT write on parity raid

Hi all linux raiders

on kernel 2.6.36.2, but probably others, performances of O_DIRECT are absymal on parity raid, compared to nonparity raid

And this is NOT due to the RMW apparently! (see below)

With dd bs=1M to the bare MD device, a 6-disk raid5 1024k chunk, I obtain 2.1MB/sec on raid5 while the same test onto a 4-disk raid10 goes at 160MB/sec (80 times faster).
even with stripe_cache_size to the max.
Nondirect writes to the arrays are at about 250MB/sec for raid5, and about 180MB/sec for raid10. With bs=4k directio it's 205KB/sec on the raid5 vs 28MB/sec on the raid10 (136 times faster)

This does NOT seem due to the RMW, because from the second time on MD does *not* read from the disks anymore (checked with iostat -x 1) (BTW how do you clear that cache? echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_cache does not appear to work)

It's so bad it looks like a bug. Could you please have a look at this?
There are many important stuff that use o_direct, in particular:
- LVM, I think, especially pvmove and mirror creation, which are impossibly slow on parity raid - Databases (ok I understand we should use raid10 but the difference should not be SO great!) - Virtualization. E.g. KVM wants bare devices for high performance, wants to do direct io. Go figure.

With such a bad worst-case for o_direct we seriously risk to need to abandon MD parity raid completely
Please have a look

Thank you