Re: New raid level suggestion.

On 30/12/2010 10:39, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
[...]
Any RAID scheme that uses parity is less than optimal, and up to
horrible, for heavy random IO loads.  As always, this depends on "how
heavy" the load is.  For up to a few hundred constant IOPS you can get
away with parity RAID schemes.  If you need a few thousand or many
thousand IOPS, better stay away from parity RAID.

Sorry, I have to disagree with this, in this situation. RAID-6 over 4 discs will be just as fast for reading multiple small files as RAID-10 over 4 discs, and a web server is a read-mostly environment, while at the same time I can't imagine any RAID schema ever giving thousands of IOPS over 4 discs, parity or no.

Cheers,

John.