Re: Is It Hopeless?

On 27/12/10 23:04, Phil Turmel wrote:
On 12/27/2010 08:10 AM, Carl Cook wrote:
Every time I read/hear this I cringe.  If that is the case your data is worthless to begin with so just delete it all right now.  You are literally saying the same thing with your statement.

No, I'm saying that the MTBF of disk drives is astronomical, and the likelihood of a fail during backup is miniscule.  MTBF of tape is hundreds of times sooner.  Not to mention that tape would take forever, and require constant tending.  This is why it's not used anymore.  My storage is 2TB now, but my library is growing all the time.  Backing to off-line disk storage is the only practical way now, given the extremely low cost and high capacity and speed.  Each WD 2TB drive is $99 from Newegg!  Astounding.  Thanks for the input though.