Re: Debugging a strange array corruption

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 16:10:07 +0800
Brad Campbell <brad@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The drives are all on separate channels. 8 are on a pair of Marvell 88SX7042
> controllers and 2 are on a SIL3132. This has occurred since I upgraded the
> mainboard (and kernel at the same time - nothing like throwing more
> variables in the mix) and its effects were subtle enough that I missed them
> until it had successfully rotated out all of my good backups with broken
> data. Lesson learned.

I'd suggest that you try moving two disks away from SiI3132, change your
setup so that at most ONE port on that controller is used, or none at all.

Some time ago there was a report of data corruption with controllers using
that chip when both ports simultaneously read at full speed:
http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=11:35147:1200#1200 (in Russian)
Perhaps problem not in the chip itself, but in some variations of
schematics/components/soldering, because only two of five supposedly identical
boards the reporter bought were corrupting data in that way, one much
more often than the other.

--
With respect,
Roman