Re: disable creation of md127

Sent: Fri Dec 10 2010 14:58:59 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time)
From: Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx>
To: Patrick H. <linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxx> linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: disable creation of md127
On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 14:38:30 -0700 "Patrick H." <linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

How can I prevent the MD driver from auto-creating md127 on boot?
I have a server which is exporting /dev/sdb1 via iSCSI. The remote client for this device is using it in a raid device so it has raid metadata on it. However because of this, when the target server boots up, the md driver shoves it into md127. And because of this, the iSCSI target daemon (tgtd) wont export the device as its now part of a raid device.
The partition type is 0x83, not 0xfd.

RHEL6 2.6.32-71

The md driver isn't auto-creating this. mdadm is being run and being asked to create this, possibly implicitly.

Exactly how you stop this from happening depends on where it is an initrd
script or a boot script that is doing it, and which version of mdadm you have.

If you have 3.0 or later, then putting
   AUTO -all

in mdadm.conf might be enough.
If you have a 2.x, you probably need to tell the init script not to run
mdadm, maybe edit the script, maybe set some default variable.  I know little
about RHEL and so cannot suggest specifics.

NeilBrown

Youre right. I removed every single md-related init script so I didnt think mdadm was doing it. But apparently I forgot about udev. I replaced mdadm with a script to dump out a bunch of info and found that udev is calling `mdadm -I /dev/sdb1`. Any idea where this might be configured at? I did a recursive grep for 'mdadm' in the entire /etc and found nothing but init scripts and a little selinux stuff (nothing in /etc/udev).

-Patrick