Re: 3T drives and RAID

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 04:21:16 -0500
"Leslie Rhorer" <lrhorer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 	Md will automatically treat the oddball drive as if it had .5K
> sectors, or does one need to tell ma (or the kernel) to do so?

You don't need to tell the kernel to do anything special - it should just
work.

md/raid5 (and raid6) do all writes as 4K blocks, 4K aligned (as the
stripe-cache is made of pages which are 4K).  So that fits perfectly with the
new drives.
If your filesystem issued a non-aligned read, then it could get down to the
device as a non-aligned read, but there is little performance penalty for
reads, only writes.
And XFS almost certainly does all IO in 4K multiples, so you should be fine.

In short: I can see no reason why it shouldn't work smoothly.

NeilBrown