Autorebuild - many instances of Monitor?

Hi Neil,
As a result of our internal discussion on autorebuild we decided to introduce new parameter for mdadm -F to be able to run monitoring without moving spares.
It doesn't seem reasonable to have two processes juggling disks at the same time so we also think we should allow only one spare sharing process.
Our current version only allows one Monitor to move spares.

When introducing parameter that indicates there will be no spare sharing, I think it would be confusing to have spare-group based code still move spares.
So I think the option should also disable old style spare migration. With the option there is no problem having several Monitors on the same devices.
Without the option Monitor will move spares as before and also based on new config domains.

However there is one issue we would like to get your opinion on.
Allowing only one instance of Monitor moving spares would not be fully backward compatible i.e. with spare-group based spare migration it was possible to run multiple instances of Monitor.
If run on different sets of devices there is no conflict between many instances, but if the sets of monitored devices overlap, then for example two or more monitors could add spares to the same array that just needs one.
Do you think we should allow user to run multiple instances of Monitor that does spare sharing, possibly introducing a conflict between instances?

Regards
Anna Czarnowska

Intel Technology Poland sp. z o.o.
z siedziba w Gdansku
ul. Slowackiego 173
80-298 Gdansk

Sad Rejonowy Gdansk Polnoc w Gdansku,
VII Wydzial Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sadowego,
numer KRS 101882

NIP 957-07-52-316
Kapital zakladowy 200.000 zl