Re: [AUTOREBUILD 0/8] Autorebuild monitor patches based on user defined policy

On 10/18/2010 5:40 PM, Neil Brown wrote:
On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 13:36:48 +0100
"Labun, Marcin"<Marcin.Labun@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

> From f423b226f10cfe3b416c5e0580dde45cd8ca887d Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Marcin Labun<marcin.labun@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 06:12:38 +0200
Subject: [AUTOREBUILD 0/8] Autorebuild monitor patches based on user defined policy

This is updated series of patches forming autorebuild functionality in mdadm
monitor based on new policy code.

Hi Marcin,
  thanks for this, and apologies for not replying sooner.
  I've had a bit of a look and some of it seems good.
  I haven't had a thorough look yet as I am in the middle of doing some fairly
  serious refactoring of mdadm (the supertype, and mdinfo structures are going
  to be heavily changed and largely merged - some super_switch methods will
  disappear (e.g. getinfo_super) and others will appear (load_container)).
  Once I have finished that I will review your code more thoroughly and merge
  it into the new code base.

  One concern I do have is patch 0002 which removes the spare-group based
  spare migration.  That functionality needs to stay, though obviously the
  implementation can change.  I imagine the 'spare-group' information would be
  added to each member device as a 'domain' name.

  Also it is best not to remove functionality and then re-add it a different
  way, but rather to make sure the functionality works after every change, but
  just gets extended at various points.

Hi Neil,

I made a similar comment on this patch during our internal review. We also talked about the need for superswitch methods that can be used to 1/ determine which devices in a container are spares versus stale disks 2/ what the minimum size a bare disk needs to be to join a container. I'll wait to see if these items will be easier to determine with the new mdinfo/supertype refactoring.

Other notes:
The --activate-domains option [1] to validate the configuration file and install custom/filtered udev rules for the ports we care about, seemed like a good idea at the time. Now that things are a bit further along do you have a better solution in mind or is this still the approach we want to take? Przemek currently has a patch to filter all block device events through mdadm to query the configuration file for domain events which seems like overkill if not a performance problem for large disk count environments.

We also talked about migration, but I'll put those details in a separate thread.

Thanks,
Dan

[1]: http://marc.info/?l=linux-raid&m=127001124615043&w=2