Re: Preventing a RAID device from starting until all disks are ready

Hi Andrew,

My apologies for the late reply, but I've been over-busy at work.

I've never heard of that - sounds fantastic.  Does it have any performance penalties during heavy writes?

There has to be some performance penalty, since for every write on the array, there is an additional write in the write-intent bitmap. However, it can be imposed on a device other than your RAID array by keeping the write-intent bitmap as a file on a separate file-system. In the mdadm manpage, it is specified that the write-intent bitmap can either be "internal" - in the MD superblock, or external - in a file. We have kept it internal for now, since we experience significantly less writes than reads. However, we are keeping in mind the option to move it off to another file-system if this changes, or we see our write performance impacting our users.

Are you doing the mdadm startup in rc.local, or in the initrd, or...?

We have disabled all of the system startup-scripts, and we have cooked our own startup script which does each stage of the startup. In our case, we need the following order of operations:

1) Start networking, and bring up a set of bonded interfaces.
2) Login over iscsi to 30 iscsi target drives.
3) Start mdadm
etc.

Cheers,
Iordan