Re: Raid 6 - TLER/CCTL/ERC

----- "John Robinson" <john.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 06/10/2010 06:51, Peter Zieba wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I have a question regarding Linux raid and degraded arrays.
> >
> > My configuration involves:
> >   - 8x Samsung HD103UJ 1TB drives (terrible consumer-grade)
>
> I have some of these drives too. I wouldn't go so far as to call them
>
> terrible, though 2 out of 3 did manage to get to a couple of pending
> sectors, which went away when I ran badblocks and haven't reappeared.

Someone else suggested I echo "repair" into "sync_action" inside of sys on a weekly basis. I know CentOS has something like this already a similar cron job somewhere in there already. I will take a closer look at this.

> >   - AOC-USAS-L8i Controller
> >   - CentOS 5.5 2.6.18-194.11.1.el5xen (64-bit)
> >   - Each drive has one maximum-sized partition.
> >   - 8-drives are configured in a raid 6.
> >
> > My understanding is that with a raid 6, if a disk cannot return a
> given sector, it should still be possible to get what should have been
> returned from the first disk, from two other disks. My understanding
> is also that if this is successful, this should be written back to the
> disk that originally failed to read the given sector. I'm assuming
> that's what a message such as this indicates:
> > Sep 17 04:01:12 doorstop kernel: raid5:md0: read error corrected (8
> sectors at 1647989048 on sde1)
> >
> > I was hoping to confirm my suspicion on the meaning of that
> message.
>
> Yup.

Thanks! It's a simple message but I wanted to make sure I got the meaning right. I appreciate it.

> > On occasion, I'll also see this:
> > Oct  1 01:50:53 doorstop kernel: raid5:md0: read error not
> correctable (sector 1647369400 on sdh1).
> >
> > This seems to involved the drive being kicked from the array, even
> though the drive is still readable for the most part (save for a few
> sectors).
>
> The above indicates that a write failed. The drive should probably be
>
> replaced, though if you're seeing a lot of these I'd start suspecting
>
> cabling, drive chassis and/or SATA controller problems.
>
> Hmm, is yours the SATA controller that doesn't like SMART commands? Or
>
> at least didn't in older kernels? Do you run smartd? Try without it
> for
> a bit... If that helps, look on Red Hat bugzilla and perhaps post a
> bug
> report.

Yes, it does seem that my controller is indeed the one that has the smart issues. I'm fairly certain that I'm not actually experiencing any of the smart-related issues, however, as I've had the exact same problems cropping up while the disks were connected to the motherboard. It seems that this particular problem is exacerbated by running smart commands excessively (which I can do without seeing these errors). I will be looking into this a bit deeper to make sure, however.

> > What exactly is the criteria for a disk being kicked out of an
> array?
> >
> > Furthermore, if an 8-disk raid 6 is running on the bare-minimum
> 6-disks, why on earth would it kick any more disks out? At this point,
> doesn't it makes sense to simply return an error to whatever tried to
> read from that part of the array instead of killing the array?
>
> Because RAID isn't supposed to return bad data while bare drives are.

If it has no choice, however, it seems like this behavior would be preferable to dieing completely:
It could mean the difference between one file being being inaccessible, and an entire machine going down. I'm starting to wonder what it would take to change this functionality...

> [...]
> > Finally, why do the kernel messages that all say "raid5:" when it is
> clearly a raid 6?:
>
> RAIDs 4, 5 and 6 are handled by the raid5 kernel module. Again I think
>
> the message has been changed in more recent kernels.

Thanks! I figured it was something simple like that, but feel better knowing for sure.

> [...]
> > Finally, I should mention that I have tried the smartctl erc
> commands:
> > http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~greg/projects/erc/
> >
> > I could not pass them through the controller I was using, but was
> able to connect the drives to the controller on the motherboard, set
> the erc values, and still have drives dropping out.
>
> Those settings don't stick across power cycles and presumably you
> powered the drives down to change which controller they were connected
>
> to, so your setting will have been lost.

I'm aware the values don't stick across a power cycle. I had the array running off of the motherboard.

> Hope this helps.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John.

Thanks! I appreciate your feedback!