Re: 3-way mirrors

On 07/09/10 15:19, George Spelvin wrote:
After some frustration with RAID-5 finding mismatches and not being
able to figure out which drive has the problem, I'm setting up a rather
intricate 5-way mirrored (x 2-way striped) system.

I know that this doesn't solve your current problem, but I wondered if the fact that mismatch_cnt is not a reliable indication of corruption on RAID1 and RAID10 is a problem with your proposed solution? I don't know how difficult it would be to fix that whilst you are at it (add a data copy in the write path).

Whilst I think about it, perhaps mismatch_cnt should be dropped from RAID1 / RAID10 entirely, as it doesn't seem to be particularly useful as-is....

Perhaps the data-copy mode could be a runtime option, and mismatch_cnt would only appear when it was switched on (and a repair forced when making the transition from no-copy mode to copy mode?).

Cheers,

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.