Re: Accidental grow before add

On Sun Sep 26, 2010 at 06:18:09AM -0400, Mike Hartman wrote:

> > You need to start looking in dmesg / other logs to see what has happened and
> > why things have failed. Without that information it's impossible to tell
> > what's going on.
> >
> I've uploaded the dmesg output starting with the reshape to
> www.hartmanipulation.com/raid/dmesg_6.txt. It looks like /dev/sdd is
> having some kind of intermittent read issues (which wasn't happening
> before the reshape started) but I still don't understand why it
> wouldn't be marked as failed in the md2 section of mdstat, since md0
> is accessing it via md2.

I think this is because it's a RAID0 array.  It can't fail the device
without (irrecoverably) failing the array, so it's left to the normal
block device error reporting/handling process.

> At any rate, that doesn't help me with my most immediate issue: does a
> drive failing during a reshape corrupt the array? Or am I safe to
> resume the reshape? Is there any way to restore my safety net a bit
> before resuming the reshape, or will I just have to hope nothing else
> goes wrong between now and the time the new hot spare is finally
> incorporated?

Failure of a device during the reshape certainly shouldn't corrupt the
array (I don't see how it would anyway, unless there's a screw-up in the
code).  I don't think there's any way to "restore your safety net"
though (short of imaging all the drives as backups), but it's probably
worth while doing a read test of all member devices before you continue.

Cheers,
    Robin
--
     ___