Re: a general question re. linux-raid stability

On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 18:27 -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've been watching patch after patch go by on this list, which leads me
> to wonder - how stable are the basic raid kernel modules, and mdadm, as
> included in major linux distributions (in my case, Debian Lenny)?  I
> can't recall seeing either md or mdadm updates propagate through the
> packaging system.  Should I be worried about my production machines?

I've been running stock Lenny with Raid1 and Raid5 on a number of
servers using the stock Lenny tools with no problems.  I think it's safe
that unless you reshape (add disks or change levels  ie; raid5 to raid6
etc.  If you do this you really then should get the latest and greatest
kernels and mdadm package and make sure you have a good backup and are
not relying on your server before doing anything).  The biggest issue is
actually booting working properly as grub2's raid support is a bit
broken for some scenarios.

Regards,
--
Daniel Reurich.

Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd
Mobile 021 797 722