Re: New RAID causing system lockups

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 14:20:40 -0400
> Mike Hartman <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> PART 3:
>>
>> Update:
>>
>> I'm even more concerned about this now, because I just started the
>> newest reshaping to add a new drive with:
>>
>> mdadm --grow -c 256 --raid-devices=5 --backup-file=/grow_md0.bak /dev/md0
>>
>> And the system output:
>>
>> mdadm: Need to backup 768K of critical section..
>>
>> cat /proc/mdstat shows the reshaping is proceeding,
>>
>> Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
>> md0 : active raid6 sdi1[0] sdf1[5] md1p1[4] sdj1[3] sdh1[1]
>>       2929691136 blocks super 1.2 level 6, 128k chunk, algorithm 2 [5/5] [UUUUU]
>>       [>....................]  reshape =  0.0% (56576/1464845568)
>> finish=2156.9min speed=11315K/sec
>>
>> md1 : active raid0 sdg1[0] sdk1[1]
>>       1465141760 blocks super 1.2 128k chunks
>>
>> unused devices: <none>
>>
>> but I've checked for /grow_md0.bak and it's not there. So it looks
>> like for some reason it ignored my backup file option.
>
> It didn't.
>
> When you making an array larger, you only need the backup file for a small
> 'critical region' at the beginning of the reshape - 768K worth in your case.
>
> Once that is complete the backup-file is not needed and so is removed.
>
> So your current situation is no worse that before.

Ok. When I did the reshape from RAID 5 to RAID 6 (moving from 3 disks
to 4) it kept the backup file around until at least 13% (since that's
when it locked and I had to restart it with the backup) but I imagine
that's a less common case than just growing an array. Your comments
give me renewed confidence.

> [When making an array smaller, the critical section happen and the very end,
> so mdadm keeps the backup file around - unused - until then.  Then uses it
> quickly and completes.  When reshaping an array without changing the size the
> 'critical section' lasts for the entire time so a backup file is needed and
> is very heavily used]
>
> I don't know yet what is causing the lock-up.  A quick look at your logs
> suggest that it could be related to the barrier handling.  Maybe trying to
> handle a barrier during a reshape is prone to races of some sort - I wouldn't
> be very surprised by that.

Just note that during the second lockup no reshape or resync was going
on. The array state was stable, I was just writing to it.

> I'll have a look at the code and see what I can find.

Thanks a lot. If it was only a risk when I was growing/reshaping the
array, and covered by the backup file, it would just be an
inconvenience. But since it can seemingly happen at any time it's a
problem.