Re: How to initialize "composite" RAID

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Mike Hartman,
>
> In message <AANLkTim9TnyTGMWnRr65SrmJDrLN=Maua_QnVLLDerwS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:
>> This is unrelated to my other RAID thread, but I discovered this issue
>> when I was forced to hard restart due to the other one.
>>
>> My main raid (md0) is a RAID 5 composite that looks like this:
>>
>> - partition on hard drive A (1.5TB)
>> - partition on hard drive B (1.5TB)
>> - partition on hard drive C (1.5TB)
>> - partition on RAID 1 (md1) (1.5TB)
>
> I guess this is a typo and you mean RAID 0 ?
>
>> md1 is a RAID 0 used to combine two 750GB drives I already had so that
>
> ...as used here?

Definitely, sorry about that.

>> Detecting md0. Can't start md0 because it's missing a component (md1)
>> and thus wouldn't be in a clean state.
>> Detecting md1. md1 started.
>> Then I use mdadm to stop md0 and restart it (mdadm --assemble md0),
>> which works fine at that point because md1 is up.
>
> Did you try changing your configurations uch that md0 is the RAID 0
> and md1 is the RAID 5 array?

That's the kind of simple solution I had in mind, I just have no idea
how to do it. The arrays are already created and I don't have enough
space to back up all the data elsewhere (I know - *cringe*). Is there
a way to do that swap "in place"?

I created everything by following the current directions in the Linux
RAID wiki and I didn't see anything there about specifying the device
name or anything like that.